05 January 2013

Fasting - Day 5

So far everything is going very well with the fast.  Other than a few times where we had a massive 'sugar-jones' (which we avoided) adjusting has been fairly easy.  We have been eating some fairly standard meals - spaghetti, oatmeal, stir fry, bean tacos - over all, no problem.

Without the extra condiments like cheese, sour cream, sugar, ketchup, etc. the caloric intake is greatly lessened.  That doesn't mean I didn't crave sharp cheddar and sour cream all over my taco!  I did find that avocados are a great substitute for dairy additions.  High in fat, but they give it a similar texture and 'coolness' that cream or cheese does.  I'm very happy that I haven't had to give up salsa or hot sauce!  You can make many 'left-overs' into quality meals with the addition of a little kick.

Physically the fast is going better than expected.  I haven't checked the scale yet (on purpose) so I'll check into that later.  I have had some headaches over the first few days which are probably due to my sugar withdrawal.  I haven't necessarily had more energy, but with a focus on less TV my time has been spent doing tasks which I haven't been able to do while working nights - fixing things, repairing things, building things, etc.

If you decide to fast, here are a few things we've noticed which will help you to plan for:
1. a little 'alone time' during the day - the air in your immediate vicinity will have a different smell to it.
2. safe snacks - we've gone through a lot of sugar free gum and salted almonds lately.
3. mood changes - be aware of your mood, you may get the before mentioned headaches which will cause some short tempers.  Know this and react to situations in a calm manner.
4. alternate activities - if you change your schedule, you may find yourself bored.  I'm trying to catch up on and finish some books which I started but didn't finish.

No comments: